Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. was founded at Howard University in Washington, D.C., January 9, 1914, by three young African-American male students. The founders, Honorable A. Langston Taylor, Honorable Leonard F. Morse, and Honorable Charles I. Brown, wanted to organize a Greek letter fraternity that would truly exemplify the ideals of brotherhood, scholarship, and service.
The founders deeply wished to create an organization that viewed itself as “a part of” the general community rather than “apart from” the general community. They believed that each potential member should be judged by his own merits rather than his family background or affluence…without regard of race, nationality, skin tone or texture of hair. They wished and wanted their fraternity to exist as part of even a greater brotherhood which would be devoted to the “inclusive we” rather than the “exclusive we”.
From its inception, the Founders also conceived Phi Beta Sigma as a mechanism to deliver services to the general community. Rather than gaining skills to be utilized exclusively for themselves and their immediate families, the founders of Phi Beta Sigma held a deep conviction that they should return their newly acquired skills to the communities from which they had come. This deep conviction was mirrored in the Fraternity’s motto, “Culture For Service and Service For Humanity”.
Today, Phi Beta Sigma has blossomed into an international organization of leaders. No longer a single entity, members of the Fraternity have been instrumental in the establishment of the Phi Beta Sigma National Foundation, the Phi Beta Sigma Federal Credit Union and The Sigma Beta Club Foundation. Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, founded in 1920 with the assistance of Phi Beta Sigma, is the sister organization of the Fraternity.
Under Graduate History
In the Spring of 1977 Theta Psi Chapter was chartered at Glassboro State college.
In the Spring of 1978 Kappa Epsilon Chapter was chartered at Montclair State college.
In the Spring of 1979 Xi Pi Chapter was chartered at Trenton State college shared chapter with Rider State College.
In the Spring of 1980 Mu Zeta Chapter was chartered at Rutgers University New Brunswick.
In the Spring of 1980 Lambda Chi chapter was chartered at Upsala and Bloomfield College.
In the Fall of 1980 Mu Psi Chapter was chartered at Rutgers University Camden.
In the Fall of 1980 Mu Pi chapter was chartered at Kean College.
In the Spring of 1981 Nu Eta chapter was chartered at William Patterson College.
In the Spring of 1982 Xi Theta Chapter was chartered at NJIT
Xi Tau Chapter at Jersey City College and Xi Omicron at Fairleigh Dickerson Were both chartered in the Spring of 1983.
In the spring of 1996 Alpha Nu Alpha chapter was chartered at Seton Hall University.
In the Spring of 2002 Beta Beta Delta was chartered at Stockton University they broke from Theta Psi dual chapter.
In the Spring of 2017 Rider University broke from Xi Pi to create Gamma Nu Gamma.